Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Only a number

First, let me start by saying how much I am enjoying personal training.

A few weeks ago I was performing a fitness assessment on a new member.  Like many new gym members, she was anxious about the number we were about to witness on the scale.  She hesitated.  And then she apologized.

"Why are you apologizing?"

"I'm just so embarrassed.  I can't believe I've let this happen."

"But it's just a number.  It's a starting point, not an end.  It's a form of measurement, the rest is what you have assigned to it.  Take a deep breath and step on the scale.  You will be ok."

I really believe this.  I have to.  My journey is not yet complete.  And I no longer feel obligated to the number on the scale.  Each day is a starting point.  Not an end.

Be well

No comments:

Post a Comment