Friday, September 14, 2012

You Don't Have Time to Not Exercise

There are so many excuses for not exercising and eating well.  So many in fact that to list them here would take up considerable amount of space and would honestly be a waste of time to write and to read.  But the biggest excuse by far is "time."

I hear the following almost daily:

"I don't have time to exercise."
"I don't have time to strength train and cardio."
"I don't have time to stretch."
"I don't have time to go to the grocery store."
"I don't have time to cook."
"I don't have time to journal my food intake."

And, to be honest, I have said many of those things myself.

But let's look at it another way.  Not exercising and making poor food choices also takes a lot of time.  How so?  Well, being healthy contributes to the risk of developing a chronic illness and chronic illnesses take a lot of time to manage.  Here's how:

Visits to the doctor
Visits to the pharmacy
Visits to rehab facilities
Visits to the ER/Hospital

And let's not the forget the time it takes to self-monitor a chronic, preventable illness.  For example, Type II diabetes requires frequent blood sugar checks and then calculations of needed medication.

There are so many illnesses that are not preventable.  Genetics place a large role in if we get sick; however our lifestyle choices also play a part in this.  So why not take charge of the aspects you have some control over?

You don't have time to be sick.  Give yourself permission to take the time to be well.  It is time better spent.

Be well.




No comments:

Post a Comment