Saturday, December 12, 2015

Midwifing my way back to fitness

I know.  An odd title.  Let me explain.

11 years ago I was in labor, working hard to give birth to our daughter.  There was some sort of glitch in the on-call system so the midwife who was supposed to be with me was unavailable.  Instead, a physician provided my care and though he was lovely and supportive, he wasn't really being very "midwifish."  For some reason, physicians have this idea that midwife patients just need to be left alone when really, what they need is support and guidance.  There's a general misconception that midwifes are hand-off with their patients when actually the opposite is true.  Many midwives sit with laboring women and provide much-needed feedback during labor.

Anyway, my labor became dysfunctional.  That is, my contractions were close together and strong but not in a regular pattern.  I was exhausted.  My cervix wasn't dilating.

There was a moment when I realized that an intervention was needed.  And the covering MD seemed hesitant to intervene with a midwife-patient who wanted natural childbirth. So,  I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and asked myself what I would do if I were my patient.  An epidural was needed for rest, pitocin to get the contractions in a regular pattern and the amniotic sac (membranes) ruptured - in that order.  I called the physician in to review my recommendations.  He agreed and a few hours later our daughter was born.

I midwifed my childbirth by making an assessment, asking for help and working with others towards a common goal.

Now it's time to do the same thing but instead of giving birth, I need to get back in shape.  Over the last year chronic migraines took over my life.  I was either in pain, recovering from pain or anticipating pain.  My body was exhausted.  I became depressed.  I was unable to exercise due to the pain and lack of energy.  My food intake was irregular and often unhealthy.  And then I got down on myself - how had I once been so fit and healthy, a guide for others and then, in only a few months, everything seemed to come undone?

Fortunately, through the miracle of modern medicine, using a toxic bacteria, my headaches are ameliorating.  Botox injections in my head every 3 months have saved my life.

And so here I am.  Out of shape and heavier than I'd like.  What would I tell myself if I were one of my personal training clients?  How would I midwife myself?  Below are my recommendations:

1.  Don't be so hard on yourself.  Things happened that are out of your control.
2.  Your weight is only a number.  Don't add extra meaning to it.  It says nothing about you as a person.
3.  Walk 20 minutes everyday.
4.  Schedule exercise in your day like an appointment.
5.  Vary your exercise to keep it interesting - have fun.
6.  Track your food.  Focus on veggies, fruit, lean protein and lots of water.
7.  Carry healthy snacks with you.
8.  Ask for help from a friend or family member who is supportive.
9.  Be grateful for what your body can do.
10. Be patient.  It looks months to get to this point, it will take time to get in shape.


Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment