Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Killer Kettlebells

I still meet with my trainer, Tom, from time to time.  Mostly for some sort of tortuous kettle bell workout.  Three weeks ago it was a mix of Kettlebells and TRX.  I couldn't squat for 3 days.  Last Friday the session was just hardcore Kettlebells.  I think he increased the weight I'm swinging around plus the other woman in the class is incredibly fit making me push myself to keep up with her.  That afternoon I went home and curled up in the fetal position.  Later I was writing a check and couldn't remember the YEAR (is it 2010 or have we moved onto 2012?) much less the day.  I knew then that something serious had to be done.

The obvious and easy answer would be to stop doing Kettlebells.  But that's not an option.

No, I decided it was time to work harder, longer and more often.  (That sounds kinda dirty)

Focus.

Ok, so this is what I'm doing: More intervals, more sprints, more Kettlebells, more core, more creative movements.  And more often.

Is it working?  Yes.  To be honest I'm a bit afraid to go back to Kettlebell Fridays but I am feeling better and am seeing benefits in my clothes.  And at the end of the day, I'm tired and sleep through the night.  The next morning I wake up spontaneously ready to attack the day.  And I look forward to my next workout.

So, as for the workouts, they've become more organic.  I set a time limit and a heart rate goal and I know I've got to work my lower and upper body incorporating core along the way.  Here's a sample:

10 Kettlebell swings each arm
Jog/run one minute (85% MHR)
Repeat above for a total of 4 sets

15 Kettlebell deep squats with overhead press
Jog/run one minute
Repeat above for a total of 4 sets

15 incline pushups (I did these on my car bumper)
15 tricep dips with one leg extended (again on bumper)
Repeat above for a total of 3 sets

10 burpees

Core circuit:
15 Bridge Press
10 Straight leg drops
20 Dead Bugs
20 Quadrupeds
Repeat above for 2-3 sets

End with:
Prone Cobra - hold 15 secs x 4
Plank - 1 minute - or 2 if you're feeling up to it!

Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment