Thursday, March 29, 2012

Tiny Habits Add Up to Big Changes

Last week I visited a friend.  When I was leaving I noticed that she had a sticky note on her door that said "breathe."

"You have to remind yourself to breathe?"

She smiled, "It's part of a program I'm doing called 3 Tiny Habits.  I need to remember to breathe throughout the day so I tied the action to something else I do all the time such as opening the door."

I responded, "you are getting kinda groovy" and then went home and looked up the website of BJ Fogg.

Basically the concept is not about changing habits as much as it is about adding new habits.  This concept really resonates with me.  So often in fitness we focus on changing habits or getting rid of bad behaviors.  Instead I encourage my clients to focus on adding new habits such as eating more fruits and veggies, stretching daily and walking on a regular basis.

But the concept of tying these new habits to something you already do was a different way of approaching it.  And by keeping the habits tiny, you are less likely to be overwhelmed by making big changes.  Then after the tiny habit becomes habitual, you can add to it and so on.

So, I've been doing it.  My 3 tiny habits:

After I brush my teeth, I will put away the toothpaste.
After I drink my morning coffee, I will drink a glass of water.
After I use a tissue, I will put it in the trash.

So far I've done pretty well.  I'm mindful throughout the day of my tiny habits.  And once I master them, I plan to build up to putting away more toiletries (my vanity can get kinda cluttered in the morning), drinking more water and clearing out bits of trash.

Give it a try.  Keep it tiny.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment