Monday, June 4, 2012

On The Road

Yesterday I woke up, put on my bicycle shorts, grabbed my bicycle shoes, sprayed myself with sunscreen, went down stairs and announced that I was going to ride my bike today. 

"OK," my husband replied, "you should get out there before it gets too hot."

"I'm going to drink my coffee and go."

Well, at least an hour later I had still not gotten on the bike.  The tires needed air.  I had to fill up a water bottle.  My socks got wet so I needed new ones.  My heart rate monitor was missing.  I forgot to take my allergy medicine. 

But eventually I walked the bike down the driveway, velcroed my bikes shoes and straddled the bike.

Then I panicked.

What if I couldn't remember how to ride the bike?  What if I couldn't remember how to clip out?  What if I fell over.  What if the tube blew or the chain came off?

But then I looked at my daughter, my nephew, my brother and husband who were waiting for me to get started.  I clipped one shoe in, peddled a few feet and clipped the other shoe in and then I was off.  I quickly remembered how to shift, brake and clip out.  After a few times around the court I was ready to hit the road and go for a ride.

There seemed to be wind regardless of which direction I was headed but I was still able to move steadily forward.  Truthfully I think I'm stronger now than the last time I took my bike out.  My back didn't my hurt, my legs didn't tire and my heart didn't give out.

I rode a total of 56 minutes and loved every second of it.

I exercise to live, not live to exercise.  But in that hour the two came together perfectly.  I was living and exercising all at once.  And it was awesome.

This journey has had many bumps and obstacles but I feel like the road is about to open wide.  I'm strong enough that I can be physically active and actually enjoy it.  And maybe that's what it's really all about.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment