Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday

Yesterday was a quiet day for me.  I woke up, cleaned and then made strawberry jam.  Then off to work at the quilt store.  So, no exercise.  But that's ok.  I was on my feet for 4 hours and busy cutting fabric and organizing bolts.

But the day before, at that community event, I had an interesting conversation that I willshare.

Lucy and I were making our way through the crowd when we ran into one of her friends from school.  All of us continued to walk together and stopped at the booth of a local personal fitness studio.  The guy was giving away his fitness videos and the gal was offering free personal training sessions.  Not a bad deal given that this play is crazy expensive with an intense boutique vibe.  Of course the female personal trainer started talking to me and asking if I exercise.  I proudly stated that I had completed a triathlon the previous summer after working with a trainer and that now I exercise 5 to 6 hours a week doing a mix of kettle bells, crossfit and spinning/jogging.  And then I added that I was actually on a path towards becoming a trainer myself.  That's when she got this look on her face.

Now, I have to be honest at this point.  Yes, I've been exercising for a bit over a year and I feel great but the weight loss hasn't been as impressive.  I'm down about 10 pounds with another 30 to go.  Losing weight is hard for me because food is so easy.  Actually, chocolate is so, so very easy for me.  I don't drink to excess, I don't do drugs but I love me a good brownie.

So I'm not really sure what she was thinking but I have a few ideas and none of them are very nice.  She didn't say "oh that sounds great" or "how are you getting certified?"  She was just silent.  Then she said, "well, I'll call you this week and we can set up a training session, ok?"

My feelings aren't hurt.  It's not a completely unexpected response.  I mean, I don't look the part.  The take away point is that it didn't discourage me - instead it lit my fire even more and made me realize how important this is to me.

Today I went back to the gym.  I find myself planning my workouts days before hand.  I knew that today I would do the bike for 30 minutes.   Then some strength training.  Here it is:

30 minutes on bike.  Average heart rate 142.

15 medicine ball overhead swings
15 medicine ball deep squats with overhead press.
Repeat above 3 times.

Then using cable pulley machine:
15 presses
15 pulls
15 squats - I call them bottom taps.  "sit" back on an exercise bench.
Repeat above 3 times.

Then using cable pulley machine:
Place pins at heaviest weight.  Lower handles.  Go into plank and do 15 push-ups.
Then lie down, feet on flower, knees bent.  Hold handles and pull body up - 15 times.
Repeat above 3 times.

Stretch and your done.

No comments:

Post a Comment