Saturday, April 24, 2010

My friend made me do it

So, I was having coffee with my dear friend Jess yesterday and she suggested that I start writing about this whole personal fitness thing I'm doing these days.  It's not a bad idea considering that there's so much swirling around in my head about it.

There's a big back story which I have to elaborate on over time but here's the basics: Just over a year ago I decided to do my first triathlon.  It has been a goal of mine for almost 10 years.  I finally bit the bullet, hired a trainer, exercised out of pure fear and then completed the event in July.  After it was over, I found that I wanted to continue what I had been doing and push even harder.  In essence, I had become addicted to the feel-good properties of exercise.

So why write about it?  Well, recently I decided that I wanted to further my commitment to fitness and become a personal fitness trainer. Fitness has changed my life.  I started training overweight, out of shape and generally not feeling great about myself.  It's not been an easy road for me.  In the beginning I often felt like vomiting after workouts, I was tired and my body ached.  But then I started getting endorphin rushes and began to discover muscles that I never knew existed.  And now, in the midst of allergy season, my body is strong and coping well with the ridiculous amounts of pollen in the air.  I'm rarely sick, sleep well and awake rested!

The biggest change for me has been the mental component.  I just feel better.  I smile more.  I laugh more.  I'm hopeful.

There is a lot of work to be done to accomplish this goal: continue my own journey towards a fitter self, attend training and pass an exam (or two.)  And of course, I have to find people who are willing to let me train them!

I'm not sure exactly how this blog is going to go but I'm thinking that I will address the following issues on a daily/near daily basis:

1. My exercise routine of the day
2. How I'm feeling about my fitness goals
3. Postulations on life (this should be entertaining)
4. Frustrations
5. Where I am on my journey towards training others.

So come along with me and maybe do an exercise or two.  I can't promise that it will change your life but I can promise that you'll at least feel better while living it.

No comments:

Post a Comment