Sunday, December 5, 2010

Becoming a fit parent

There is so much pressure on parents.  We are constantly being bombarded with information that our children are inactive, undernourished and overfed, disengaged and stressed.  But we must ask ourselves, where are they learning this?  What do we teach them when we live our lives in an unfit way?  Of course, we would like the schools to have more activity, better nutrition and less testing but what are we  modeling at home and on the weekends?

Are we, as parents, teaching them to live a fit life?  

How can being fit make us better parents?

By not taking the time to care for ourselves we are not modeling behavior that we need our children to develop.  Not just for their health now, but for their health as they move through the challenging stages of their lives. We need them to learn from us how to incorporate fitness into their lives and how to live a full and fit life.  

I'm not a fan of affirmations, but this one literally just came to me.  

When I move my body,
I have more energy for my child.
When I build my muscles,
I have more strength for parenting.
When I nourish my body,
I am better able to nurture my child.
And when I engage my spirit,
I am an engaged parent.

Before I incorporated fitness into my life, I was not the parent I wanted to be.  My patience with Lucy was limited.  While she played outside, I sat, exhausted, in a fold-up chair. I was tired.  I was overwhelmed. I was a bit lost.

When I started to exercise, eat better and reach out to friends who could support me, I found that I became a more patient parent.  I took the time to listen to Lucy and respond to her in a respectful way.  I set boundaries that were healthy for both of us.  And I had the energy to play with her. I took the time to cook with her and teach her about food.  Of course, I'm not perfect and I get frustrated when I shouldn't and I occasionally check-out while scanning facebook, but overall, I feel that I am better parent and model for my child.

This is not meant to put more pressure on us as parents but rather to remind us of the old term that when we take care of ourselves, we are better able to take care of others.  So I encourage you to take care of yourself.  When you incorporate fitness into your life, you become a more fit parent, pun intended.

Be well.


No comments:

Post a Comment