Thursday, August 26, 2010

Lots and lots of exercise!

Oh my, a lot of time has passed without any posts.  I've been too busy exercising.

Today I made it to spinning and was pleased to discover that I could complete the whole routine without having to slow down or take a break.  I even pushed myself a bit harder than usual.  Plus, at the end of the class the instructor gave me a few words of encouragement by saying, "you did great today."  It's amazing how these few words really bolstered my spirit.  I felt that I had done well but it was still nice to hear it from her.  This is something for me to remember and be mindful of when I'm working with clients - everyone likes to get positive feedback and be told that they are doing a good job.  In fact, that's a good thing to remember for life!

My husband has asked me to help him get in shape so I have been practicing on him and designing programs for us to do together.  He isn't paying me but instead I am earning "credit" towards the purchase of luxury items.  I realize that there are some who will think that this arrangement is absurd but for us it works. I have the motivation to keep him exercising so that I can acquire credits and his motivation - well that's for him to find.  It's quite strange - for the first time in our relationship I am more passionate about fitness than he his but I know this will change with time.  Plus, I found a really lovely sweater that would be the perfect addition to my fall wardrobe.  haha.

Ok, so hold onto your seats or rather, get out of your seat and plan some gym time.  Here are 3 separate strength training routines.  Each starts with large muscle groups then moves to smaller muscles.  They all include whole body exercises as well as a bit of core training.

#1

8 minute warm-up on treadmill.  HR to about 60-65%

Bosu Jumps - 10 reps on each side x 3 sets
Box step-ups with single arm overhead press (dumbbell) 12 reps x 3 sets

Push-ups 15 then
Plank row with 8 lb dumbell  8 each side
Repeat for 3 sets

Assisted Pull-ups - 3 sets as many as you can do

Cable Curls - 12 -15 x 3sets
Cable Tricep Press - 12 -15 x 3 sets

Heel Raises - 15 x 3 sets

Hamstring Curls using Stability Ball - 12-15 x 3 sets

Stability Ball Crunches 15 x 3 sets

Superman on Stability Ball - hold for 15 seconds x 3

Stretch

#2

8 minute warm-up on treadmill.  HR to about 60-65%

15 Squat overhead press with medicine ball then
16 Forward lunge and side rotation with medicine ball (8 each side) then
Side to side jumping for 30 seconds - I put a jump rope on floor and jump over it from side to side.

Repeat above for 3 sets.

10-12 Suspended Cable Push-up then
10-12 Suspended Inverted Row

Repeat above for 3 sets.

Using bands:
15 standing biceps curl
15 overhead single tricep extension

Stability Ball Superman hold for 15 secs for 3 sets

Crunches on ball
Crunches with oblique twist

Plank x 30 seconds
Side plank 15 - 30 secs per side

# 3 This one I did alone but hope to do with Mitch tonight.  Almost all bands

8 minute warm-up on treadmill.  HR to about 60-65%

15 squats with medicine ball swing to shoulder height then
12 hamstring bent knee kick-backs with band repeat other side (on elbows and knees) then
12 gluteal bent leg raises with band repeat other side (on elbows and knees)
Repeat above for 3 sets

15 side walks with band, repeat other side - works adductors, ie glutes.

Using Bands:
15 lateral raises
15 overhead press
Repeat above for 3 sets

15 Standing Chest Press
15 Standing Row
Repeat above for 3 sets

12 reverse fly x 3 sets.

15 Push-ups with one hand on 4 lb. Bosu Fitness Ball (7 one side, 8 the other)

20 heel raises x 3 sets

15 Stability ball crunches holding medicine ball overhead x 3 sets

20 Stability ball and medicine ball oblique rotation - sit on  stability ball, extend arms, holding medicine ball with both hands, rotate to side, come to center, rotate to other side.

30 seconds plank.

Stretch.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment