Saturday, May 1, 2010

Gardening

Today I took a day "off" from traditional exercise and decided to do some work outside.  Not sure why I decided to do this on the first day of May that also happened to be 90 degrees but what else was I going to do.

I love impatiens so I bought a bunch of those.  Then some fillers, herbs, potting soil, plant food etc.  When I got home, Mitch helped me unload and I got changed.  I don't garden much so I don't possess "gardening" clothes.  Instead I rolled up a pair of pants, donned a lululemon top, a floppy pink hat and my hot-pink converse high-tops from 1985 (seriously, they're from Junior High.)  Fortunately Lucy isn't old enough to know that this should have embarrassed her.

I lugged, dug, scraped, lifted, squatted, sweat for roughly 2.5 hours.    My muscles strained under the load of heavy soil and rocks.  My quads aided me in moving pots to various places around the patio.  The sun was beaming but there was just a touch of a breeze.  I could hear the neighborhood children gleefully riding their bikes and trading silly bandz.  Lucy and her friend encouraged my efforts and were always ready to water as needed.  It was glorious.

When all the planting was done, I cleaned up, swept, watered and rested.  With a fresh canteen of water I felt proud of my little bit of gardening.  And although I wasn't wearing my HR monitor, I'm certain that I got a good workout.  If not for my body, most certainly for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment