Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Substitute

We had a sub for spinning today.  It was so hard, I mean really really hard.  But really great.  Recently I've had a hard time getting an endorphin rush during my workouts.  I think it's because I'm in better shape and most likely due to my not pushing quite as hard.  That changed today.  About 40 minutes into the ride the endorphins rose up.  There's nothing better.  My body gets this full body quiver and tingling sensation.  It's a feeling of pure joy, excitement and release (sound familiar?).  And then I kept riding, pushing my body harder and harder.  And I was smiling.  God, endorphins are good.

After that was over, I headed to the cross pulley system thing for some chest presses and upright rows.  Then a few squats.  Then abs using the exercise ball.  Then lots and lots and lots of stretching.

I had an interesting experience at the gym yesterday that I had wanted to write about but I was just too tired last night, in fact I passed out reading old issues of Domino.  Anyway, yesterday while stretching after my workout I saw this woman in her 50's doing exercises that seemed incredibly familiar to me.   She had a whole routine set-up for herself of about 5 exercises.  When I was finished and when she was taking a break I asked her if Tom had been her trainer.  She said yes and asked me how I knew.  It's easy- I had done and still do the same exercises.  Our conversation went something like this:

Me: "How long have you been training?"

Her: "2 times a week for 10 months."

"How do you feel?"

"It's amazing.  All my joint pain is gone.  I thought I had arthritis but now it's gone."

"That's great!  Tom changed my life.  I feel better at 38 than I did at 30.  You probably sleep better too."

"I do.  I don't remember when I slept so well.  I feel great but I haven't lost as much weight as I wanted to but it doesn't bother me because I'm stronger.  The weight doesn't seem to matter as much anymore."

There it is.  The truth.  We get so hung up on the weight but the weight should not be our focus.  We should be focused on feeling good.  The weight will follow.  When we feel stronger, happier and better rested food no longer has the hold that it once did.  This woman was doing Weight Watchers and had lost weight but went on to say that she was no longer focused on being a size 8.  She wanted to continue feeling this good.

Weight Watchers has this saying that you hear all the time that goes something like this: "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."  That used to be my mantra.  Not anymore. I have a new one which I will leave you with today:

Nothing feels as good as feeling good.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment