Sunday, May 30, 2010

Weekend Activities

I must have worked out a lot harder on Thursday than I realized because I am still sore today!  Maybe it was all that Sudafed.

So, I took the day off on Friday and just stretched.  Yesterday Lucy and I rode over to our local farmer's market.  We must have been some site: both of us with our pink jackets and pink helmets on.  Lucy rode on an attachment that hooks onto my bike - she had her American Girl Doll in her basket while my bike was sporting a new over-the-top basket from here.  I thought that the ride wouldn't be that bad, I mean I ride all the time for much lonter distances.  Well, pulling a 5 year-old who is theoretically helping is not easy.  But we made it over there, purchased locally grown flowers and strawberries (and a few other goodies from here and here) then rode home.  

The children in our neighborhood planned an entire afternoon of games and competitions.  They were quite motivated with obstacle courses, ball tosses and road races!  After they were finished, everyone headed over to the community pool to cool off.  While there I did the following circuit:

15 push-ups (girlie kind)
15 heel raises on each leg
20 lunges

Repeat above three times.

We all slept well.

Today we've already completed our activity - we participated in a local Bike Festival, riding 7 miles of local roads and trails.  Mitch and Lucy biked over the the festival, I took the easy way out and drove.  Later we'll swim and I'll probably do a mini kettle-bell workout.

Two years ago this much activity would have been unthinkable for me.  I probably would have complained...a lot.  But now, it's a given that we'll be physically active on the weekends.  I'm proud of us for getting out there as a family and enjoying our community and I'm proud of me for having the physical strength to do it.  

1 comment:

  1. There's no such type of pushup called the "girlie kind"; don't diminish your workout! I call them facilitated or modified.

    Typically, instead of resting between sets, I do as many full pushups as I can until failure, and then I go to facilitated. It's more challenging that way, and it keeps your heart rate and activity level up.

    ReplyDelete