Thursday, June 24, 2010

Back to the gym

There are a few things that I never thought would happen;  looking forward to getting back the gym is one of them.

The last few weeks have been hectic with Lucy being out of school and then my trip to help my mother move.  As I stated in my last post, I was active during the move but it really wasn't the same as a gym sweat fest!  Plus, towards the end it was just hot and I continued to give in to my cravings for bad (read unhealty) Oklahoma food.

So yesterday I put on my exercise clothes, ate some egg whites with goat feta and made my way to the gym.  First I hit the treadmill for some serious walking.  I never thought that I could get an awesome cardio workout from walking but with the combination of a higher incline and increased speed, I kept my HR around 75% pushing it to 85% for a few minutes.  And then the endorphin rush arrived around 25 minutes which reinforced that walking can be an aerobic activity!

Then I did the following:

On the Cable Machine
15 two arm pushes
15 two arm pulls
Then
15 squats to near sitting
Repeat above for a total of 3 sets.

Then:
15 Woodchops using 10lb dumbbell, repeat other side
12 squat, overhead press with 4 kg medicine ball
Repeat above for a total of 3 sets.

A note: I got a second endorphin rush towards the end of the 3rd set of these but that's mostly due to the USA scoring a goal and winning their game.

Lots of stretching.

55 minutes.  525 calories.  yahoo!

I'm hesitating a bit on this personal training thing and I'm not sure why.  I look in the mirror and think who would choose me to be their trainer?  But I have to remind myself that this is also my own personal journey with fitness.  My hope is that others will want to create their own journeys too with me as their guide, that is until they find the strength to do it themselves and then they can refer their friends.  haha.  Seriously, I'm putting myself out there in a way that I've never done.  Midwifery is not at all about me, it's about my patients and their families.  I know that personal training isn't really about me, but by getting certified I am making the statement that I am fit and that I care about fitness.  My personal physique should reflect this, right?

Let me think about this and write more tomorrow after my *outdoor* spinning class. It's crazy that they are going to move the spin cycyles downstairs but if they're willing to do, then I'm willing to go.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment