Sunday, June 27, 2010

Yardwork and a wheatberry recipe!

Again, I started the day with a plan to get to the gym in the morning.  But instead I picked up a shovel and dug up a patch of my backyard and let me tell you, that's damn hard work!  I wasn't wearing my HR monitor but if I had, it would have been beeping like hell.  I did this off and on for a couple of hours (probably less, but it felt like longer.)  My feet, hands and face were covered in mud.  I tasted dirt.  It was good.

In the summer I make myself limeade or lemonade spritzers.  That way I can drink something fizzy without the extra calories.  Today I did something even more special:

Fill glass halfway with Raspberry Zinger tea (I sweetened mine with homemade jam that never set)
Fill rest of glass with fizzy water (we make our own)
Top with a sprig or two of mint

Kick up your feet and marvel at the results of your (very hard) physical labor.

For lunch I enjoyed my wheat berry tabouleh.  Two months ago I was obsessed with quinoa, this month it's all about wheat berries.  They are so easy to make and add a nice texture to any salad.  Here's my recipe:

1 cup wheat berries
1 bunch of parsley, stems removed and chopped.
1 cucumber, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Juice of 1 lemon (2 if a small lemon)
A few (2-3) tablespoons of olive oil - I'm pretty stingy with this stuff
Salt and pepper to taste.

Cover wheat berries with at least 2 inches of water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for an hour, adding water if necessary - very important, I forgot to do this and burned them once!

While they're cooking, mix the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.

When wheat berries are ready, they will be a bit chewy.  Rinse under cold water.  Strain and add to parsley mix.  Can be covered and stored in the fridge for a 3 days.  Best the first day though.  Perfect for a summer picnic.  Enjoy.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment