Friday, June 4, 2010

That long-overdue workout

Here it is:

6 minutes on the upper-body cycle machine, alternating 1 minute forward, 1 minute backward

Then the following routine:

15 box step-ups with overhead dumbbell press using 10 lb.  Repeat with left leg

15 medicine ball pushups, 7 on R, 8 on L

30 forward rows with 10 lb dumbbell

30 seconds jumping side to side over rope

15 medicine ball swings (1st set stop at shoulders, 2nd set overhead, 3rd set at shoulders)

20 (16,18) plank rows with 10 lb dumbell

15 wood chops with 10 lb dumbbell - repeat on other side

30 seconds on balance board

Repeat all of the above for a total of three times.

Then:

9 Burpees using Bosu.  When jumping, hold Bosu at chest.  I wanted to do more but my body mutinied.

Finish with 3 sets of medicine ball abdominal exercises.  Sit on floor, hold ball at chest, raise feet off floor.  Rotate ball side to side for a total of 30.

Stretch.

60 minutes.  566 calories burned.

Last year this workout would have been too hard for me.  But today it was hard but felt good.  A note about the reps - I found that the plank rows were pushing my HR too high so I decided to do them until I heard by HR monitor beeping.   In general I tried to take only a little rest between each exercise - just enough to allow my HR to come down to about 75%.

Yesterday I had every intention of going to the gym but meetings during the day kept me from making that a reality.  After I picked up Lucy I drove over to the gym with her which did not make her happy.  My thought was that it was too hot to be outside, so she could hang out in the daycare until 4:30 or so and then we would head home.  Her response was that it may be too hot to play outside but it was just the right weather for swimming.  I thought about this and decided that she was right. So, we stopped for a cool treat at Stewart's and then went home, put on our suits and jumped in the community pool.  It was the perfect thing to do.  Swimming with Lucy was a blast and it felt great not to be as self-conscious about my body as I used to.  Sure, I'm still overweight but I feel better so the opinions of others just don't matter to me.  And I don't want Lucy to see her mother sitting by the pool in a chair, all covered up for fear that someone will catch a glimpse of her thighs!

This goes to my point that it's not about exercising 7 plus hours a week, it's about being active and engaged in your life.

Be well and get outside!

3 comments:

  1. The swimming sounds like fun.

    The workout, not so much. Maybe I will try an abbreviated version of this next week at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it! I will do it tomorrow.

    maybe.

    ReplyDelete