Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Weathering the heat

It has been too long since I've written here but I have been exercising.  Last week, after the yard work day, I went to the gym and either walked on the treadmill or rode the stationary bike and then did some sort of strength training routine.  Friday was kettle bells - one of my very favorite things.

We visited my brother's family this past weekend where we spent most of the time trying to keep cool.  There was a fair amount of walking but the heat was getting to the children so we had to cut our outing short.  Again, I was pleased to find that I had plenty of strength and energy to walk with the family and not find a bench at every opportunity.  Sometimes it makes me sad to think about how deconditioned I had become but then I forgive myself and feel gratitude for the body I now inhabit.

I did manage to get down to their gym one day for a 50 minute workout - 35 minutes treadmill then a medicine ball circuit finishing with a Bosu Ball exercise:


Place Bosu ball on floor with ball side down.  Hold onto side handles, keeping arms straight and body in plank position.  Slowly lift one leg off floor.  Repeat with other leg.  Alternate for as many as you can do, keeping back flat and core tight.

We are continuing to experience a most impressive heatwave on the East Coast.  Our shades are drawn, the lights are off and the oven is in hibernation.  The gym is in my plans this afternoon as well as making jello, sewing and perhaps some summer reading.

And I found two more interesting articles specifically about women's fitness.  The first is on recalibrating the formula for maximum heart rate and the second is on the (limited) benefits of protein after women exercise.

Be well and keep cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment